Deck the Halls with Hops and Barley
12 beers you should put on this year’s Christmas list
We all know winter can be downright unpleasant; it’s freezing, pitch black by 4 p.m., and happy hour gets confined to the great indoors. Well, if there’s one thing to be thankful for, it’s beer to get us through the season. Known for their higher alcohol content often with hints of clove, nutmeg, chili, vanilla, chocolate, and more— there’s nothing like a good winter ale to get you into the holiday spirit.
So throw on those extra thermal layers, brave mother nature, and get yourself down to one of these breweries for a winter warmer.
1. Old Redwood Brewing Company - The Stockyard Chocolate Porter- Staying true to their roots, The Stockyard is smooth, rich, and bursting with notes of dark chocolate—a true Porter in our eyes.
2. Epidemic Ales - Peanut Butter Stout- One word: uh-mazing! Dessert in a glass, this sweet sold out Stout is back on tap as of December 2nd (hurry, it won’t last)! No fancy description needed, if you like peanut butter cups you will LOVE this beer.
3. Trade Brewing - Ten Penny Brown Ale- Roasted malts, chocolate, and caramel… Does it get any better? Stop by the new tasting room for a taste of Christmas.
4. Carneros Brewing Company - Negra IPA- Featuring estate grown Saaz hops balanced with smooth malts, this German-inspired IPA is in a class of its own.
5. Tannery Bend Brewing - Bancal Belgian Winter Ale- Can you say cozy? Deep red, with aromas of grandma’s freshly baked banana bread gives way to a full mouth-feel with surprising yet subtle seasonal spice notes.
6. Cooperage Brewing Company - Last Dance Hoppy Session- It’s the most wonderful time of the year for a beer. Head on over to the taproom and they might just save you a last dance.
7. Old Redwood Brewing Company - Full Windsor Triple IPA- A fan-favorite year round, the Full Windsor coming in at 9.75% ABV is just what you need to survive the colder months.
8. Mare Island Brewing Co. - Coal Shed Stout- Even the naughty deserve something nice—and this Coal Shed Stout is no lump of coal. A flagship beer, this Stout is rich with toasty malt notes and a touch of sweet molasses for a nice finish.
9. Russian River Brewing Company - Little White Lie- Don’t sit on a throne of lies. We know you drink on the days ending in “y,” so what’s another Little White Lie? Unfiltered wheat beer with orange peel, cumin, and coriander, this is a must-try.
10. Crooked Goat Brewing - Chili Pepper Ten Four Infused Oktoberfest Lager- The weather outside is frightful, but the beer is so delightful. Here to warm you up is a Oktoberfest Lager infused with fresh Pasilla, Poblano, and Anaheim chilis.
11. Sonoma Springs Brewing Co. - St. James Winter Warmer- Christmas cheer? I thought you said Christmas beer. Brewed with copious amounts of malted barley, aged in bourbon barrels, and spiced with ginger, clove, cinnamon, and nutmeg; this is without a doubt a winter warmer.
12. St. Clair Brown Winery & Brewery - Oatmeal Stout- Nothing says traditional like an Oatmeal Stout. Dark, full-bodied, with complex aromas—each warming sip is a blanket of smooth, sweet, deliciousness.